[thelist] maximum page load for users leave?

Steve Lewis slewis at macrovista.net
Wed Dec 4 13:29:15 CST 2002

Nick Wilson wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Are there any recent studies/stats on how many seconds a user will wait
> for a page to load before giving up on the site?

I was reading some last night and Jakob Nielsen recommends an absolute
maximum 10 second load time.  His optimum was less than one second.  In
several places he claims that users will invest approximately 10 seconds
in a site before deciding to continue or leave.  Those familiar with his
work know he doesn't tend to footnote his work with statistical
analysis, but supposedly he has tested such things with many user groups.

--Steve