[thelist] Please Supply Feedback Regarding My CMS Plans

Dan Robinson drob at dnai.com
Thu Dec 5 15:20:01 CST 2002

- apologies if this gets posted twice -

Hello all,

I am soliciting comments, suggestions and criticism for a web based CMS for
some time and am trying to determine whether or not it would fly as a
commercial product.  The product is provisionally called VStreet and is in
a "pre-beta" state (not alpha, but not quite beta yet).  Here is some
information to help understand what VStreet is and does:

- a "lightweight" CMS (this version)
- "pure" HTML browser-based management console
- Server based - HTML client only on front-end.
- Template driven (xHTML and WebMacro scripting)
- Powerful Servlet/Session based/RDBMS back-end
- No programming necessary for basic sites
- Fine grained authorization model for administration
- Fully (actively) supports dynamic web pages as well as statically
generated ones (or a mix)

I am currently targeting small to medium sized web
design/services/production businesses ("web producers").  I believe they
will be interested because:

- They can provide their customers with a low-cost, user friendly way to
keep content updated on their web sites.
- The Web Producers can use it "in-house" to manage a customers web site
when that customer isn't inclined to do so.
- There are no look and feel restrictions on the websites created and
maintained within the system.
- They can brand the product easily.
- They can run it on their servers, or mine.
- Low-cost (pricing to be determined)
- There is plenty of opportunity for extending/customizing the feature set.
- There will be a compelling upgrade path as the product matures adding
many sophisticated content management features (while maintaining simple
design and low-cost).

I am currently identifying a small number of web producers who would serve
as beta customers.  Once I have established that there MAY be a market for
this product, and finalized the beta features (with the beta participants)
sites could be deployed in about ~4 weeks. (well with the holidays etc a
little later :) ).  Folks interested in finding more about VStreet or
providing constructive comments/criticisms are invited to contact me via
the list or directly via e-mail.

Oh and by the way - I currently have two sites up and running using the
software (and have been up for months) - they are www.vstreet.us and
www.berkeleyska.org (Caveats - the url redirecting thing is currently
annoying and is NOT related to VStreet.  I am NOT an HTML
jockey/Webxpert/Graphical Design person so problems with the look and feel
of the sites are entirely my fault - not VStreet's.  The sites will
probably not look the way they were designed to look if you don't use IE -
again me, not the software - well there are more caveats but you get the idea).

Thanks for taking the time to read this e-mail.

Regards,

Dan

"The most important thing is to always remember the most important thing"

"The most important thing is to always remember the most important thing"