[thelist] DB design question

matt g mrg at members.evolt.org
Fri Dec 6 15:41:01 CST 2002

> From: Joel Canfield <joel at spinhead.com>
>
> You could, but as rudy will tell you (which is why I know it now) you don't
> need to add an artificially unique identifier when you already have one -
> address. You're almost certainly not going to have two properties at the
> same address, so use that field instead of creating an artificial one.

Yep, I just thought that finding "1313 Mockingbird Lane" would be slower
than searching for '798', but maybe the indexing takes care of that for us.

Another more important issue might be this - same street address, different
town. It's the full address that makes it unique. There are a lot of Elm
Streets out there...

matt g