[thelist] Help me understand the requirements for MS SQL

kevin D. white kevination at suchsmallhands.com
Sat Dec 7 23:29:00 CST 2002

Timothy J. Luoma wrote:

> I'm trying to demo MS SQL
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/cmserver/evaluation/sysreqs/default.htm says I can
> run it on XP Professional
>
> but http://www.microsoft.com/cmserver/evaluation/trial.htm says I will need
> (among other things):
>
>     -Windows 2000 Advanced Server Trial Software
>
>     -Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 (SP2)

These are the requirements for the Microsoft CMS (Content Management
Server), not Microsoft SQL Server. They are two entirely different
products. The CMS Server can be run on any of the listed operating
systems. In addition, CMS Server requires an instance of MS SQL Server
to run. You will have to check the installation requirements for MS SQL
Server to find out what operating systems are supported.

> Can I run Win2k Advanced Server on XP?

No.

Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Windows XP are two related but
different operating systems. While you can have multiple operating
systems installed on one computer, only one operating system can be
active at any time.

--
---
kevin D. white