[thelist] Help me understand the requirements for MS SQL

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Sun Dec 8 04:04:01 CST 2002

Hi,

The second page states that you can run the CMS Server (in a developer
setup) on Windows XP Pro (so, it does not contradict the first URL you
listed). There is, however, no link to download a trial version of Windows
XP Pro (as far as I know, there is no trial Windows XP Pro edition
available).

So, if you have Windows XP Pro, then you have the necessary operating system
components. You will need either the Personal Edition of SQL Server, or the
Developer Edition of SQL Server (these run on "client" operating systems,
such as Window 2000 Pro, Windows XP Pro or Win98/ME). The "regular" version
of SQL Server only runs on Windows 2000 Server, or Windows 2000 Advanced
Server.

In answer to your last question - "can I run Advanced Server on XP?", then
answer is "no" - they are both operating systems. If you choose to install
Windows 2000 Advanced Server, you can have your machine setup as dual-boot
(ie when you boot up you will be asked whether you want to boot Windows XP
or Windows 2000 Advanced Server).

Cheers
Ken

From: "Timothy J. Luoma" <luomat at peak.org>
Subject: [thelist] Help me understand the requirements for MS SQL

: I'm trying to demo MS SQL
:
: http://www.microsoft.com/cmserver/evaluation/sysreqs/default.htm says I
can
: run it on XP Professional
:
: but http://www.microsoft.com/cmserver/evaluation/trial.htm says I will
need
: (among other things):
:
: -Windows 2000 Advanced Server Trial Software
:
: -Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 (SP2)
:
: Can I run Win2k Advanced Server on XP?