[thelist] nospam email encoding (think I found a good one)

Head Dragon:) Dragon-Vision at comcast.net
Sun Dec 8 12:59:01 CST 2002

At 9:01 AM -0800 12/8/02, Ed McCarroll wrote:
>  > I discovered padding the ASCII code with 0's threw off the encoder:
>
>This is like the U.S./Soviet arms race.  Each new measure taken by
>one side inspires the other to design a counter measure.  Given
>that we have no way of preventing the enemy from subscribing to
>thelist, I suspect that this trick will be defeated within three
>weeks.  (Hope I'm wrong, but ...)
>
>I can't imagine there ever being a foolproof client-side solution.
>
>Sucky-est solution:  Use a .GIF that displays the address, but has
>no link.  Then expect to be sued under ADA.

I use this with better success than encoding the address.  You could
also encode the real info in the body and make it even harder.  When
you hover over the link you will see the mailto: appear in the status
bar.
In the Head place this.

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

<!-- Begin
var user;
var domain;
var suffix;

function jemail(user, domain, suffix){

document.write('<a href="' + 'mailto:' + user + '@' + domain + '.' +
suffix + '">'+ user + '</a>');

}

//  End -->
</script>

In the Body put
Email: <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

<!-- Begin
jemail("yourname", "yourdomain", "net");
//  End -->
</script> thelinktext </a>

--
Sincerely,
Kid Stevens Webmaster Dragon Vision Design

"Warning,
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons.
They will make you crunchy and eat you with ketchup."
-Unknown Author