[thelist] Hard Drive Partition for Linux

Boris Mann boris at bmannconsulting.com
Sun Dec 8 20:28:01 CST 2002

Andrew:

On Sunday, December 8, 2002, at 04:25  PM, Andrew Maynes wrote:

> So Obviously
> the 56K modem will not be of any use and I want to use the Linux Box
> as the
> gateway for 4 networked PC's.

I would again point you towards e-smith (http://www.e-smith.org) if you
want to do anything more than just run it as a gateway/firewall/router.
It has several different modes, including "server and gateway", where
it will share a broadband connection amongst your PCs, allow local file
sharing, and also act as an external webserver.

For use only as a gateway router, I would suggest a hardware-based
solution from Netgear, Linksys, D-Link etc.

> I will check ut the local lug (Linux User Group) for advice too thank
> you Liam
An excellent suggestion no matter what you end up going with. Your
local LUG will have lots of tips for you. Even brand new hardware
capable of running Linux will only run in the $500CDN range.

P.S. I'm in Ottawa, where e-smith is based, but I really don't work for
them! Their free product is just excellent, and the easiest Linux
server distro I've come across in a long time...

-- Boris
http://www.bmannconsulting.com