[thelist] PHP HTTP referrer processor ?

Philip Lee lists at pidea.co.uk
Tue Dec 10 05:00:01 CST 2002

Jeff wrote:

Subject: RE: [thelist] PHP HTTP referrer processor ?

> doesn't it make more sense to target commonly used search terms that they
> *aren't* finding his site with?

True but the user feels that he can refine his meta tags by looking for the
incidental words that users have used that have successfully located his
site.  I've been presented with a MySQL table dump containg 300,000 HTTP
referrers to wade through - he has no access to the raw server logs.

> more importantly, meta keywords aren't used anymore except by a single
> search engine and even then they're only one of many factors in
determining
> relevance.

Indeed, one of the other tasks was to identify the sites that are linking to
his.

> if your client wants to chase down good search engine rankings, there are
> much more effective methods than fuddling with meta keywords (which will
> have practically zero return).

I totally agree - I was going to look at the linking sites as well and
suggest reciprocal links, submit those to search engines etc.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> > Does anyone know if there is a script (preferably in
> > PHP) that will parse the referrers, will identify those
> > from search engines and will then pull out the keywords
> > that were used to search for the site, ideally grouping
> > them so that the most common keywords can be identified?
>
> yeah, most any traffic reporting program will do that for you just by
> supplying it with your basic weblogs.  no sense reinventing the wheel,
> right?

And there lays the problem - no access to the raw logs just one huge MySQL
table dump.

Phil