[thelist] PHP HTTP referrer processor ?

Philip Lee lists at pidea.co.uk
Tue Dec 10 06:06:01 CST 2002

Jeff wrote:

Subject: RE: [thelist] PHP HTTP referrer processor ?

> my favorite kind of client -- the kind that think they know what they're
> talking about ... but don't.

:-)

> users aren't locating his site because his current meta tags are working
> generate relevance in search engine results.  they're finding his site
> because the search engines are grading his content's relevance and it
> happens to contain words people are searching for.

aha !

> ah, so this is something that's already been started and is being handed
> you to deal with -- yuck.

Yup, it's the never ending quest for better search engine positions, in this
case triggered by a recent internet magazine in the UK.  A little knowledge
. . .

> perhaps you can still get something like analog to parse this file.

I'll give it a try.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> > Indeed, one of the other tasks was to identify the sites
> > that are linking to his.
> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>
> this is by far the most important data contained in the data.
>
> don't mess with submissions.  the good rankings will come from engines
> finding you.  concentrate instead on links from other sites that are
already
> highly ranked for search terms you want to target.  this may or may not be
> sites that are already in your referrer list.

On the basis of a quick glance through the log, that appears to be the case.

> does this sound like something i said earlier?  it should.  this data dump
> is great for information about what you're doing right.  however, it
doesn't
> contain the information you need to know to fix what you're doing wrong or
> areas that you can expand into.

I hadn't thought of it like that.  I like it.

> good luck,

Thanks

Phil