[thelist] SQL SELECT Question

Burhan Khalid burhankhalid at members.evolt.org
Tue Dec 10 09:23:01 CST 2002

Hello All,

      Recently I was asked a SQL question from a person new to SQL
      that had me stumped -- because I had never thought of it before.
      The question was, how do you write a select statement so it
      returns only a list of all values in one column. The first thing
      that came to my mind is the "SELECT * FROM [table]", but that
      returns a list of all records, from all columns.

      I then thought that if I gave a conditional that's always true,
      it might work, ie. "SELECT someColumn FROM someTable WHERE 1=1",
      but was told that it didn't work.

      We eventually decided to go with SELECT *, and dump the data
      that we didn't need, but the question has been bothering me for
      a while. Anyone have any clues?

Regards,
--
| Burhan Khalid |