[thelist] Macromedia Contribute

Boris Mann boris at bmannconsulting.com
Tue Dec 10 10:21:11 CST 2002

On Tuesday, December 10, 2002, at 10:24  AM, matt s. wrote:

> Anyone used it? Is it the cheap-n-easy CMS it promises to be? For $99
> it
> seems interesting, but then again, it might be another consumer-level
> knock-off of high-end software that cant do much of anything.

There is a "Tech Preview" available --

http://www.macromedia.com/software/contribute/

I've played with it a little bit, both with a site that was designed
using DWMX templates, and with a "plain XHTML" site.

There are all sorts of settings and permissions for different user
groups, so one might only be allowed text changes, while others have
access to CSS styles.

For both clients and Intranet use, I think this is a very good product.
Think of it as an extremely simplified version of DWMX, with only the
editing functions.

For any clients that want to do their own updates, I'm just getting
them to buy a version of Contribute and billing them some "setup time"
to get it working with their site.

Note: for those that don't have DWMX, you can also just use Contribute
itself to become the "Administrator" of a website...good option that
lets you spend $99 instead of $499 if you don't already use DWMX.

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bmannconsulting.com