[thelist] Horizontal Scrollbar in IE

James Aylard evolt at pixelwright.com
Tue Dec 10 13:41:01 CST 2002

Dave,

> I have a framed page (its for a uni assignment, I don't like frames
either)
> but for some reason in IE6 I am getting a horizontal scrollbar displayed
> regardless of whether any content overflows - the only way I have found to
> combat this is to remove the <html> tags and the doctype declaration from
> the offending page and all is well.

    There is an approach that uses standards-compliant code and allows IE 6
to remain in its "standards-compliant" mode while eliminating the horizontal
scroll. Using stylesheets, apply a value of "scroll" to the html element
(not the body element). This creates "disabled" scroll bars when the content
doesn't overflow, which might be considered a bit unsightly, but it is, IMO,
better than the horizontal scrollbar problem that you are seeing. Note that
applying padding or margin to the body element will undo this workaround.

James Aylard