[thelist] sendmail 8.12.5-7 problem

Carl J Meyer cjmeyer at npcc.net
Tue Dec 10 17:50:01 CST 2002

Chris,

I'm not sure what's causing your problem, but here's what I do know:

The Redhat firewall config tool modifies your iptables setup in
/etc/sysconfig/iptables.  That's all it does, AFAIK.  Also, the
interface is poor in that when you open up the tool it does not display
your current settings, it always starts out showing "HIGH" no matter
what you set it to last time you ran it.  But your changes do take
effect, and you can verify your current firewall settings by looking at
/etc/sysconfig/iptables (or using iptables --list).  If the iptables
file doesn't exist, or --list shows all empty chains, then you have no
firewall configured.

If you've set it to "No firewall" and tried, then it doesn't sound like
iptables is the problem - which surprises me, because I'm not sure what
else would do what you're describing.

xinetd is not the problem - I've never seen sendmail run under xinetd,
RedHat doesn't do it by default, and I would never set it up that way.
So unless you specifically set up sendmail to run via xinetd, there's no
connection.

It's been a while since I've worked with sendmail configs, but I'm
pretty sure the Cw setting is also not the issue here (you do want to
set Cw to your domain, though).  Cw being wrong won't cause sendmail to
refuse connections (at least I've never seen it do that), it just causes
it to try to relay mail (or bounce it with an "I refuse to relay")
because it doesn't realize that it's supposed to be the final
destination for that message.

So I can tell you many things that are not the issue, but that doesn't
necessarily help much, does it?  :-)

Do you have any other services running on this machine which are
accessible via TCP/IP from external hosts?  Is sendmail the only one not
accepting connections properly?

Carl