[thelist] IE Image max-width

Max Kanat-Alexander maxka at cats.ucsc.edu
Tue Dec 10 22:16:01 CST 2002

         All right. This is the first question I've actually asked the
list! So, here goes.

         I have a bunch of images on several pages, and I don't want to
specify width="" for each image. They are contained inside of a layout
table. (Site must work in NN4.7)

         When an image is wider than the table, it just gets cut off. This
is bad.

         For mozilla and other compliant browsers, I can do this:

         img {
                 max-width: 100%;
         }

         Which makes the browser resize the image to fit the current size
of the table cell. That's good.

         Is there anything that I can do like this for IE? At the least, I
need the entire image to display, instead of being cut off by the end of
the table. (I tried setting "overflow: visible" on table, p, img, td, tr,
and tbody, and that didn't work.)

         Any solution is okay, as long as it validates and doesn't involve
massive code reworking.

         -Max

         P.S. The (rather unexciting) page that this applies the most to is
at:

         http://resnet.ucsc.edu/ResNet/XP-Setup.cfm