[thelist] Wireless Networking Advice

evolt at zamba.com evolt at zamba.com
Sat Dec 14 12:30:42 CST 2002

I use linksys too, mixed network: 2 PCs on ethernet, two laptops on
wireless (all XP Pro), single cable internet access. One thing I found,
the linksys router works a lot better with linksys made cards in the
laptops than D-link. Note, Compaq cards are in fact linksys cards. Do
not believe the ranges quoted, they're dreaming!

One especial thing to note: filing cabinets etc. I have a wall of 4
drawer cabinets, with equipment cupboards on top which are also metal.
As a consequence, my router in now high up on the same wall in a space
not occupied by cupboards; this allows me to have access in the other
rooms and balcony of my apartment, otherwise, forget it!

On the whole, I'd recommend wireless. It's great when you can sit
looking out over Sydney Harbour and still work (that's my story and I'm
sticking to it)! But don't forget to use MAC encrypting or the next door
neighbour will be using your bandwidth...

Tony

      [ZambaGrafix]
   <websites that work>
tel: +61 2 9953 4425