[thelist] pc telephony

Aleem Bawany aleem.bawany at utoronto.ca
Sun Dec 15 10:25:01 CST 2002

> Thank you Philip This is something I am setting up for myself
> so that I can use the telephone whilst online at the same
> time?  I am just a little unsure with regards to what I
> exactly need.  Ideally I would just like to plug a headset
> into the back of the PC but what do I need to plug it into :)

Andrew,

Using the telephone while being online would require a VoIP
solution, for which I think you would need J2EE rather than
JTAPI (don't take my word for it, it's still unchartered
territory for me). Anyways, you can't run a VoIP (Voice
Over IP) application off your computer without using a paid
VoIP gateway (dialpad, net2phone etc) if you intend to
communicate with a regular telephone line. DSL, which allows you
to surf the web and use the telephone at the same time, might be
what you are looking for.

In either case, if you are interested, you should do up some
reading on IP telephony, but making an application for VoIP
is a fulltime job, not something I would imagine one pursuing
otherwise.

aleem

[ http://members.evolt.org/aleem/ ]