[thelist] online payments

Feingold Josh S Josh.S.Feingold at irs.gov
Mon Dec 16 12:40:01 CST 2002

> I'm building a website for a conference and am terribly confused about
> online payment options other than PayPal.  This is a one-time deal....
> they'd like people to be able to register and pay for the conference
online.

Paypal offers the lowest cost that I saw for a small business.  The only
downside is that on the second purchase they are required to sign up for a
PayPal account.  Since you expect this to be a one time deal, I don't know
any negatives of using paypal.

There are other companies who offer credit card processing without getting a
merchant account such as 2checkout.com. However, you are looking at a 5%
processing fee with them.

If you already have a merchant account, you might be able to find a payment
gateway that meets your needs.  When shopping around make sure to get all of
the costs/fees up front so you can truly compare apples with apples.

Josh
http://www.efeingold.com