[thelist] CMS tools - site categories

Boris Mann boris at bmannconsulting.com
Thu Dec 19 13:37:01 CST 2002

On Wednesday, December 18, 2002, at 02:27  PM, Steve Lewis wrote:

> Hershel Robinson wrote:
>> I am also looking for just such a CMS.  Something very simple, that
>> will
>> allow articles to be organized into categories.  I have looked around
>> a bit
>> and found a few *possibilities* but if some Evolters have positive or
>> negative experience with some of these systems, that would certainly
>> help.
> It looks like most of the responses recommend PostNuke.  Wish I could
> say I liked PostNuke, but I don't.  I found the code quality to be
> unpredictable on some of the modules I looked at, and the system had
> issues if you tried to put in too many patches/modules/whatever.  I
> guess I just wanted to do too much with it.

I have to agree with the comments on PostNuke -- code quality is very
low. It has the advantage of having lots of modules available, but many
bits and pieces are "hacks".

I've been experimenting with Drupal (http://www.drupal.org) lately. It
includes a highly customizable "taxonomy" system that essentially
offers infinite categories.

It's basic design is as a user-moderated type of site, but you can turn
off all the submission/queuing features and run it as a standard portal
type system.

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bmannconsulting.com