[thelist] Mac password help

Adrian Simmons adrinux at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 19 16:24:01 CST 2002

Joel Canfield wrote:

>We have a G4, probably OS9 but possibly X, which has a password on it, and
>the ex-employee who was the only user has 'forgotten' what it was.
>
>Is there a way, short of whacking it and rebuilding, to recover it?

With OSX, get an OSX installer CD, there is an option to reset the admin
user password if you start up from the cd and go into the installer (but
you don't have to actually install any software).

OS 9 - hold down shift at startup to disable extensions?

There is also a possibility that the disk is passwd protected with
something like FWB Hard Disk Toolkit, I've no idea how to sort that
short of wiping the drive.

Adrian