[thelist] usability books

Andrew Stevens andrew at 4serendipity.com
Mon Dec 23 11:29:01 CST 2002

In addition to the earlier recommendations (including a big thumbs up to
Krug's Don't Make me Think, especially if you're just starting out on the
subject of web usability), I'd like to add the following:

Note: I've also tacked on the evolt affiliate id on each Amazon URL

Web Style Guide: Basic Design Principles for Creating Web Sites, Second
Edition
by Patrick J. Lynch, Sarah Horton
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0300088981/evoltorg02-20

Web Site Usability Handbook
by Mark Pearrow
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1584500263/evoltorg02-20

Usability for the Web: Designing Web Sites that Work
by Tom Brinck, Darren Gergle, Scott D. Wood
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1558606580/evoltorg02-20
(Haven't read this one, but it looks good)

Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective
Tests
by Jeffrey Rubin
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471594032/evoltorg02-20
(General usability guidelines are good reads, but when you want to see how
you specific site's particular users interact with your site, you'll have to
start testing.  Rubin's book is a classic on the subject.)

While the following two books aren't specifically focused on web usability,
they are closely related to the subject, and certainly worth a read.

Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web
Sites
by Louis Rosenfeld, Peter Morville
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596000359/evoltorg02-20

The Design of Everyday Things