[thelist] [Perl] Blosxom setup problems

Keith cache at dowebscentral.com
Fri Dec 27 03:01:01 CST 2002

At 08:57 AM Friday 12/27/2002, you wrote:
>ok, enough bashing my head against the wall for nothing. I have now
>found out that NO perl scripts now function on my dev box. GRRRRRRRRRRR.
>I just get the same "configuration error" in my browser window, OR the
>whole script is printed to the browser window (so it is not being parsed)
>and I get these in my server error logs:
>
>[Fri Dec 27 08:51:32 2002] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (2)No such file or
>directory: couldn't spawn child process: c:/phpdev/www/cgi-bin/dbi.cgi

Paul

It would help to know what you do differently to get the two different
results, and what server you're on. Either way your problem is not with
Perl, it's with your config.  Mis-configure PHP and it is even weirder than
a misconfigured Perl:-)  I think you're on the right track when you say an
install script failed. Either re-run the install or finish the part of the
install that didn't run.

If you are running Apache, it needs to be told what files are executable.
Check httpd.conf for 2 things, an Options directive that includes "ExecCGI"
and a directive "AddHandler cgi-script .cgi". You can optionally add
"Options +ExecCGI" and "AddHandler cgi-script .cgi" to an ,htaccess file in
any path to enable .cgi as an executable in that path. Lack of those two
directives would explain the script syntax in the browser instead of an
execution of the script. The error that the file cannot be found is
probably traceable to the path in the ScriptAlias directive in httpd.conf.
If you do not want to limit your dev server to requiring the use of a
phoney cgi-bin, comment the ScriptAlias line and let scripts live anywhere
in the document_root.

Keith