[thelist] Designing ErrorDocs

Elfur Logadottir elfur at elfur.is
Wed Jan 1 08:51:01 CST 2003

From: "carole guevin" <carole at pixeltable.com>

| oh darn... darn and darn... just when I thought I was smart... give me a
| strong drink someone (coffee preferably)
|
| how does one set up to prevent the copying of the css (especially)? how
| do you set up the 403...

in short: you can't prevent the visitors from copying your css files.
you have to make them available for the browser to read, and while you do
that, you can't make them unavailable, because if the browser can read them

| > in that case why have a page display at all? maybe you should have a
| > blank page display for 1 second or less and then redirect or
| > just allow
| > the standard "Directory Browsing Disabled" page display? or maybe a
| > similar message?
|
| I'm using dsl/cable speed and I still can *read* the message - unless
| people are using higher bandwidth connection - my point is that a)  you
| know you're not supposed to *go* there... b) the message is humoristic -
| but the viewer most probably doesn't care c) I take it that our visitors
| come to see the content and d) if they want to snoop... they can... gosh
| these sites are not banks or other crackers' delights...

it has been suggested before: make a "default" file for the directory,
and/or have the directory browser disabled. other than that, just accept
the fact that what you put out there, someone else can copy.

happy 2003
elfur