[thelist] tabs v spaces

Burhan Khalid burhankhalid at members.evolt.org
Thu Jan 2 05:08:01 CST 2003

>  in coding are tabs better than spaces?  Do
>  spaces create heavier files than tabs...?

Well, I don't know about the "heavy" bit, but personally I like tabs for two reasons :

1. One key does the spacing (don't have to keep hitting the space key)
2. Tabs are easily adjusted. If I don't like the spacing, I just change the tab spacing in any editor and the page is reformatted without much in the way of a headache.

>  also files that are nicely indented should they
>  be un-indented when uploading....?

I always keep my files indented while uploading. That way, when I want to download them to edit, they are already nicely formatted.  However, on some systems (like if I'm transferring from *nix to Windows), the file tabs don't translate very well.  As far as the web browser is concerned (or any parsers), tabs/spaces are just whitespace, and they are ignored.

Hoping this helps,
--
Burhan Khalid
Email : burhankhalid[at]members.evolt.org