[thelist] tabs v spaces

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Thu Jan 2 08:39:07 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "kristina" <ml at kfxdesign.net>
Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 5:37 AM

> list,
>
>   in coding are tabs better than spaces?  Do
>   spaces create heavier files than tabs...?

Kristina,

I prefer spaces for the reason that I want my code to look the same no
matter where I go.  I usually code from CF Studio (which has GREAT spaces
support.. the block indenting feature inserts spaces or tabs depending on a
setting), but when I need to modify code via Notepad or some other editor I
don't need to worry about the default tab setting making the code scroll off
the page.  I also prefer spaces because my brain is on autopilot when
navigating around a file and deleting whitespace.  Tabs messes up my tempo
when deleting blocks of whitespace.

Other than those two reason, I don't know why I prefer spaces over tabs.

-joshua