[thelist] Genealogy database schema

Mike Migurski mike at saturn5.com
Thu Jan 2 16:17:01 CST 2003

>For about 1 1/2 years I've been gathering genealogical information for my
>family (families). Currently I have it all hard-coded with deeply nested
><OL> lists. I'd like to database this information, but have not been able
>to figure out a relational schema to do so.
>
>I'd appreciate any pointers as to how I might structure this in an Access
>database and the queries needed to present it similarly to what I have.
>The data is constantly being expanded in all directions.

Seems like the following should do the trick for a simple table structure:

column name |   data type
id          |   integer
first_name  |   text
last_name   |   text
dob         |   date
dod         |   date
mother      |   integer (relation to other row, this table)
father      |   integer (relation to other row, this table)

                 http://www.saturn5.com/mike/contact.html

                "Freedom! Horrible, horrible freedom!"