[thelist] Genealogy database schema

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Thu Jan 2 17:39:00 CST 2003

At 02:02 PM 1/2/2003, Lonnie.Kraemer wrote:
>For about 1 1/2 years I've been gathering genealogical information for
>my family (families). Currently I have it all hard-coded with deeply
>nested <OL> lists. I'd like to database this information, but have not
>been able to figure out a relational schema to do so.
>
>I'd appreciate any pointers as to how I might structure this in an
>Access database and the queries needed to present it similarly to what I
>have. The data is constantly being expanded in all directions.

If you roll your own, your better off using the Geneology DB Scheme (GEDCOM
5.5) that the Mormon Genealogy tables use. They've become the defacto
standard for storing this info. Here's a place to start:

         http://www.gendex.com/gedcom55/55gctoc.htm

Here's a ton of GEDCOM links:

         http://genealogy.about.com/cs/gedcom/

There are off the self programs (
http://www.genealogy.com/soft_ftm.html?priority=5090212 )that might be a
better use of your time. And there is a nifty web based one, GeneWeb:

         http://cristal.inria.fr/~ddr/GeneWeb/en/index.html

--
Anthony Baratta
President