[thelist] browser upgrade campaign gone wrong

Tom Mallon tom at tmallon.com
Thu Jan 2 19:11:00 CST 2003

Hi all!,

Here's my take: I have a bunch of pages that use applets, all of them
will report that you can't se the page if you lack/ have disabled Java.
It only states a fact- you can't view the page unless you get what is
required- it does not make me rude!

I don't much care for frames, but I have never disabled it on any of
the five browsers on my 'puter- if I want to view the content of a
framed page- I need to play by their rules, they are not rude to inform
you!  It's just "the facts of life".

Tom Mallon

> On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 17:26:57 -0500, aardvark <roselli at earthlink.net>
wrote:

> > i just love surfing google and seeing this as a site's summary:
> >
> > "[Excepting text-based browsers, you are using an out of date
> > browser. This site will look better if you upgrade to a current
> > browser ..."
> >
> > there's not a specific question i have, but i just want to remind
> > people that the whole idea of telling people to get a specific
> > browser, whether by the upgrade campaign or by "best viewed
> > with" images, is not always the nicest thing to do...
> >
> > i recently converted the UA string in IE to be something quite
> > arbitrary, and now i get to see all the broken scripts, Flash
> > detection, and browser warnings that indicate someone may not be
> > testing their code well enough...
> >
> > turns out the site i mention above had what i needed, but i didn't
know
> > until
> > i surfed over there...
> >
> > on the very next search results page:
> >
> > "If you can read this, it means your browser can't display inline
frames.
> > Please upgrade."
> >

> > --
> > Read the evolt.org case study
> > Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself
> > http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1904151035/evoltorg02-20
> > ISBN: 1904151035
>
> It never ceases to amaze me just how rude and ignorant certain
designers
> out there can be (or painfully obvious that they use some lame
WYSIWYG to
> generate their code).  I surf with Opera identifying as Opera with
inline
> frames disabled, along with Proxomitron with offsite images
disabled.  The
> whole inline frames deal is what gets me.  On occasions when it's
not "You
> need a newer browser to view this frame, go get the latest Internet
> Explorer or Netscape", its "You need a newer browser to view this
frame, go
> get Internet Explorer, Netscape, or Opera".  I guess they forgot that
Opera