[thelist] browser upgrade campaign gone wrong

Tom Mallon tom at tmallon.com
Fri Jan 3 09:42:01 CST 2003

Most surfers do not have your level of "expertise", and, such messages
explain why they do not see the page.  If they surf with these
facilities disabled, the messages given are valuable info to them, just
learn to live with it! Maybe get a good Anti Virus prog. and keep it
updated!

Tom

> On Thu, 02 Jan 2003 18:10:00 -0700, Tom Mallon <tom at tmallon.com>
wrote:

> > Hi all!,
> >
> > Here's my take: I have a bunch of pages that use applets, all of
them
> > will report that you can't se the page if you lack/ have disabled
Java.
> > It only states a fact-you can't view the page unless you get what is
> > required-it does not make me rude!
> >
> > I don't much care for frames, but I have never disabled it on any of
> > the five browsers on my 'puter-if I want to view the content of a
> > framed page-I need to play by their rules, they are not rude to
inform
> > you!  It's just "the facts of life".
> >
> > Tom Mallon
> >

> So what you're telling me is that giving a rude message telling me to
> download a new browser because mine "sucks" (yes, I've seen it) is
more
> appropriate than using a serverside include that acts as noframe
content
> for the iframe?
>
> Or maybe you haven't heard about the vulnerability in Internet
Explorer's
> iframe that allows some of the more recent virii (klez, etc.) to
spread
> without the user even knowing (easily patchable, I know).
>
> Maybe I don't like iframes because the wheel on my mouse doesn't seem
> work right inside an iframe in my browser of choice.
>
> Maybe I don't want to download the extra html document.
>
> Maybe I don't like java, javascript, or Flash because it crashes my
> browser.
>
> Maybe I'm using Lynx and dealing with frame/iframe content is a pain
in the
> ass.
>
> Maybe I have a crappy computer that is only capable of running
Netscape 4
> or older (been there before).
>
> Maybe I just like to see how incompetent some "designers" are.
Designers