[thelist] Cannot Delete - Sharing Violation

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Tue Jan 7 09:45:19 CST 2003

>Have you ever been developing and your trying to upload a file to your web
>browser, and the file doesn't appear to be updating on your web browser?
>You've tried all the tricks to force an update, and even the file on the
web
>browser is the most up-to-date one? So after further investigation, you try
>to delete the file on the web browser and you can't. You get a "Cannot
>Delete File: There has been a sharing violation with this file" Windows
>error message. What's up with that?! And about 5 minutes later the file is
>free and able to delete. You know in your right mind that there is no way
>the file could be shared.
>
>This has happened to me twice now and is annoying as h3\\. Can anyone
>explain this phenomenon to me please?

Are you saying you have a (Word, etc) file open in the browser and you try
to update the file on the system with the browser open? If you are looking
at the file it is locked, you can't update it until it is closed. This is a
Windows thing.

Now, I have run into situations where files (and entire folder trees!) will
not be deleted because they are set as an application root under IIS or are
otherwise held by IIS or the ASP process for one reason or another and can't
be deleted/moved/edited/etc. I usually wait a little while for whatever ASP
process has it to time out.

-dave