[thelist] Apple releases new browser for OS X - "Safari"

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Tue Jan 7 13:07:00 CST 2003

>Supposed to be based on something called KHTML, open source... they are
>releasing their changes back to the community.

FYI if you take a look at the KTHML link[0] included in an earlier e-mail,
it looks like KHTML is a KDE C library for HTML rendering. They have a code
snippet about 20 lines long that creates an entire browser application.

And here I thought KHTML was some funky HTML-mangler markup garbage. :)

Basically it looks like they took the KHTML lib, which they could use since
OSX is UNIX anyway[1], and added their Google integration and fancy
bookmarks to the mix. According to the KDE docs, KHTML supports:

  * "(almost) complete implementation of DOM Level 1"
  * "KHTML can display Java applets"
  * "KHTML aims at compliance with ECMA-262 3rd edition. This roughly equals
JavaScript 1.5."

Sounds like Apple improved KHTML quite a bit. This should be a great example
of a company taking advantage of Open Source and giving back to the
community in exchange.

-dave

[0] http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/kdeqt/kde3arch/khtml/
[1] ...which means Aqua is really an X interface? no way! :)