[thelist] SOT: Document Management, Indexing and Search

Janet Nabring-Stager jnabring at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 8 15:55:01 CST 2003

Hi Bob-
In the last year, I purchased, installed and configured dtSearch for
internal use at my non-profit employer, so cost was definitely an
issue and we were happy with the dtSearch price tag.  We have used
dtSearch both for an intranet search engine and as the full search
tool on a MS Access database that was created by an outside vendor.
This tool wasn't too terribly difficult to install, it has been
extremely versatile in its uses, and the company provided some good
documentation, so I would recommend it, as we've been mostly happy
with our results.
If you have more specific questions, feel free to e-mail me offline.
You can also join and read more about dtSearch at www.yahoogroups.com
- that helped me out when I was configuring different things.
HTH - and good luck!
From: "Bob Haroche" <spambait at onpointsolutions.com> wrote...

I'm looking for an application for a small law firm (15 attorneys)
which would enable the attorneys to archive a slew of MS Word files
(legal briefs and research memoranda) on a central server and then
access/search that archive from various workstations.  The
application needs to be fairly simple to use in terms of importing
the data, creating the database and providing the search interface.

The firm does not have an intranet so the application need not be web

based (though I'm still open to that type of solution). The firm is a

windows environment (Windows 2000 server and workstations) and uses
Office 2000 (but is likely migrating to Office XP).

It seems that MS Share Portal might offer some of these features but
I'm inclined to steer clear of MS solutions b/c in the past I've
found MS Office based/integrated solutions to be difficult to
implement. If that's changed, I'm open to hearing that.

The firm doesn't need a $20,000+ "enterprise" scale solution, but
something smaller, simpler and  less expensive. I've looked at AskSam
and DTSearch and both seem to be in the ballpark of what could work.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these solutions, or
other similar ones?

=====
Janet Nabring-Stager