[thelist] Collaborative Environment Suggestions

Burhan Khalid burhankhalid at members.evolt.org
Thu Jan 9 17:54:00 CST 2003

Hello All :

	Came across a unique situation, and as always, I would like to consult the list for opinions.  I have been retained as a developer/system admin for a design house, however, they don't have any sort of version control/collaborative development envrionment in place.  It is getting to be a problem since almost all of the developers are telecommuting, and we are having problems with people updating files, and then not being up with the most recent version of a file.

	So, I am looking for some sort of version control system.  The platform is RH 7.2 shared server, and I do have root access via SSH (if that's a factor).  Any suggestions? Places where I should look? The files that we will be editing will be web based (HTML & PHP mainly).

	What I am trying to avoid are situations where the HTML and PHP files (mostly HTML) are choked full with comment tags. Besides the bloat, it doesn't look very nice when someone does a view source.  I would like a system that allows people to check out files, and have a separate file/place to have a log for the changes. If a file is checked out -- then it should be locked so that other people may not modify it.

As always, your suggestions are invaluable.

--
Burhan Khalid
Email : burhankhalid[at]members.evolt.org