[thelist] email headers tracing

Andrew Maynes andrew at humanbehaviour.co.uk
Mon Jan 13 09:55:00 CST 2003

anyone know what the tools this is referring to?

HELO identifies the sending machine; "HELO mail.bieberdorf.edu" should be read
as "Hello, I'm mail.bieberdorf.edu". The sender can lie; nothing, in principle,
prevents mail.bieberdorf.edu from saying "Hello, I'm frobozz.xyzzy.gov" (HELO
frobozz.xyzzy.gov) or even "Hello, I'm a misconfigured computer" (HELO a
misconfigured computer). However, in most circumstances, the receiver has some
***tools*** with which to discover this and find out the sending machine's real
identity.

Andrew