[thelist] free tip Mozilla Checky

Timothy J. Luoma luomat at operamail.com
Mon Jan 13 11:15:08 CST 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 11:27:10 -0500, sasha <spam at bittersweet2.com> wrote:

>> Mozilla now have a fabulous tool called Checky
>> which is a tiny little plugin that can be
>> downloaded and then when you press F10 it will
>> validate the page you are on using a huge
>> variety of validators.
>>
>> go to http://checky.mozdev.org/
>>
>> I beleive it can also be used within Netscape.
>> </tip>
>
> Opera has had this since at least 5.0.  No plugin necessary.

Well, Opera has had HTML validation built in, but not all of the ones
included in Checky.

As for the other validators, you can get most of them by using
bookmarklets.

Personally I'm not sure that it's a good idea to have all of the validators
connected to the same button... I can see a lot of potentials for
**unintended** abuse by people who really just want to check their HTML or
CSS and end up sending a lot of traffic to the other validators as well.

Look at the list at http://checky.mozdev.org/services.html and tell me how
many of them are really necessary, or even applicable, for most pages.

It's got great "gee whiz" appeal, but I don't think it's overly useful...

I did download a recent Phoenix build (12 Jan) and found that it was much
faster than earlier releases.  I can't believe they added skin support
before Sidebar support, but clearly I just don't get the whole "skin"
phenom that has infiltrated just about every app out there (Opera included,
and no I don't get it there either).

Then again, the first thing I did with WinXP was turn off the eye candy and
I have installed the smallest Trillian skin I could find.... so it's not
that I don't use the skins, but mainly I just use them to get rid of the
fluff.

TjL

--
Timothy Luoma <luomat at operamail.com>