[thelist] HTML Kit vs. HomeSite

Timothy J. Luoma luomat at operamail.com
Mon Jan 13 12:44:01 CST 2003

I haven't used HomeSite for a long long time, and that was just a
demo/trial version.

I tried HTML-Kit and found that I did not like it (I can't remember
specifics, and it may have matured greatly since then).

For hand-coding on Windows, I don't think you can beat www.UltraEdit.com

I also have TopStyle and CSE HTML Validator and find them quite handy, but
I use UltraEdit all the time because of the easy to use FTP editing (open a
file from FTP, save, and changes are saved back to FTP server).

UE also lets me define my own macros and templates and insert them using
the keyboard (not relying on menus or toolbars that require mouse action).
I can define my own key combinations for macros (and for the app itself
actually).

Just a few of the handy macros I have made:

alt + k =

where "|" stands for where the insertion point/cursor will be placed.  I
have another for <p>|</p> and another for a standard XHTML 1.0 document,
and so forth.

It has great REGEX support (search/replace in multiple files) and a ton of
other features too numerous to mention.

There's a 45 day uncrippled demo, which is plenty of time to decide whether
it suits your needs.

(Disclaimer: I'm on the beta test team for UE, but get no $$ or other perks
for my praise of UE... It's just my opinion.)

TjL

--
Timothy Luoma <luomat at operamail.com>
30 Days to Becoming an Opera (6) Lover http://tntluoma.com/opera/lover/