[thelist] A right AOL mess...

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 14 04:07:00 CST 2003

>We have AOL 3 to 7 currently visiting our site - is there any rule of thumb
>as to what these actually are (for testing purposes)? I'm sure I read
>somewhere that you can assume that they are IE, but one version behind.
>What about the Netscape takeover? Is AOL 7 actually Netscape 6, is that
>coming in AOL 8?

As far as I know you cannot make any assumptions. I've detected every
combination of AOL 3-6 with IE 3-6. AOL 7 mainly comes with IE 5-6, but
that's because the newer computers have these browsers installed, not
because of AOL.

The AOL version number refers to the AOL skin, not to the browser below it.
This browser is the default installed IE, and I'm not sure how (or even
whether) AOL ever updates it.

As to Netscape, I've heard that the new AOL 7 for Mac OS X uses Netscape
6.something as its code engine. As far as I know this is a test and it's not
going to be repeated any time soon on Windows.

In short: you're out of luck. Check your sites in IE 4-6 Windows and cross
your fingers.

ppk, freelance web developer
Interaction, copywriting, JavaScript, integration
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/
Column "Keep it Simple": http://www.digital-web.com/columns/keepitsimple/
Nieuw: Jaaroverzicht 2002
http://www.naarvoren.nl/artikel/jaaroverzicht_2002.html