[thelist] Learning .NET

Mitchell, David David.Mitchell at progestic.com
Tue Jan 14 09:47:01 CST 2003

I made the switch from ASP/VB to .NET awhile ago. One of the most important
things when learning how to do things in .NET is to learn Object Oriented
Programming. For me it wasn't too bad of a learning curve because I already
knew Java and C# is very Java-esque.

Everything in .NET is relentlessly Object Oriented, so it is essential you
get up to speed with this if you don't have prior experience with OO
languages. That being said, download the .NET Framework from Microsoft and
start writing console apps to get the feel for the framework (there are lots
of good tutorials on the web regarding this...).

There is also a free ASP.NET IDE called WebMatrix from www.asp.net which
makes it quite easy to get started with ASP.NET.

Some good links are:

www.dotnetjunkies.com
www.aspng.com
Www.gotdotnet.com