[thelist] Head Hunters, Staffing Agencis and Job Hunting Tips

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Tue Jan 14 10:04:01 CST 2003

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

> Sean wrote:
>
> > If you have a company in mind, approach that company directly.
>
> > 5) What method have a high success rate?  Get out of the door and down on
> > the street!  Seriously, comb yer hair, clip on the tie, and boogie on down.
> > Unsolicited resumes go to the circular file.  A flesh and blood person at
> > least gets a chance to make a first impression.
>
> Sorry, I can't imagine this working, anywhere.

That's a bit broad.

If I'm interested in the IT Dept. of XYZ Corp. because I've heard good
things about their culture I *might* be able to tailor an application for
an administrative or security position, anything that will get me a job
there with access to their intranet so that I can start finding out who
RP's are for the work I really want.

Meanwhile, consider creative agencies.  In the States at least, time and
effort spent on informational interviews has for bright and experienced
people a high return on investment.  To get easily an appointment for
such an interview requires decent-to-good phone skills and excellent
written communication skills.

For less-experienced folks the picture's a bit murkier, but who knows?
It's better than staying silent.

> You just don't walk into companies without the name of a person
> *and* an appointment. You'll see, at best, a security guard or
> receptionist who assuredly doesn't care how good a developer you
> are, and likely doesn't know who *would* care.

Again, a lot of this has to do with approaches.  Research, research,
research.  There are directories with listings of mid-level and senior
managers at all manner of companies - and certainly a well-appointed
library is likely to have a few.

Has anyone on the list been approached by a lurker (or someone who found
the archive on the Web) who was doing research by way of seeking
employment?   I'd be surprised if that has NEVER happened.

In the little phone work (research and, yes, solicitation) that I've done,
I've discovered that if you are patient, confident, friendly, and well
informed... you may not hit a home run, but you'll learn a lot and put
yourself that much closer with each call.  The goldmines I've hit as a
researcher just by being polite have on a few occasions caused me to
blink.

Of course, this sort of approach isn't for everyone.

But in the end, the person who suggested that knowledge of the
flesh-band-blood person on the other side of that resume is a good thing
for the company to have... is dead on.

[Note to those who're wondering:  I've not applied my own advice in
several months as the result of personal difficulties that have had a
severe negative impact on my level of - wait for it - confidence.]

> Tracking down contacts at those companies is worthwhile; I wouldn't
> waste a single minute going there in person.

Which is to say, the middle ground is what's important.  If you know who
you want to talk to by name, that gets you somewhere.  Of course, getting
the right names takes some work.

--
Ben Henick                     "In the long run, men hit only what they aim
Web Author At-Large             at.  Therefore, though they should fail