[thelist] [LYNX] install and run on OSX 10.2

Adrian Simmons adrinux at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 14 13:33:01 CST 2003

Jim Puls wrote:

> Fink is a great system, but you don't need it if all you want is lynx.

Very true, since there appears to be a lynx osx package available.

> FinkCommander is just a frontend to lynx.

Oops. Typo! FinkCommander is just a frontend to Fink!
Frontend = gui.

Ben wrote:

> lynx: Command not found.
>
>When I do a search for "lynx" on my machine I get the following:
>Bens>System>Library>Extensions>AppleLynx.kext

How do you search? If you're using sherlock I've a feeling it won't
search your whole hard drive, only those parts you have permission to
access.

A little bit of googling suggests this lynx binary gets installed in
/usr/local/bin, your Terminal may not be looking in that directory when
you type "lynx". [tip: after installing new software like this type
"rehash" in Terminal to make it update its list of applications]

If you've quit and relauched Terminal and it's still not finding Lynx
then your path may need setting. To see if lynx is indeed in
/usr/local/bin try doing "ls -al /usr/local/bin", if it's there it
should launch with "/usr/local/bin/lynx".

If that works you need to create a file called .cshrc in your home
directory and add the line:
set path=($path /usr/local/bin)
 If you want help doing that e-mail me off list!

Adrian