[thelist] new SVG status

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Thu Jan 16 14:47:01 CST 2003

At 7:39 PM 1/15/3, Techwatcher wrote:
> I wanted to let you all know (in case it slipped by unnoticed)
> that W3C just made SVG a standard.

SVG 1.0 did indeed reach Recommendation status a year-and-a-half ago.
What's new this week is that SVG 1.1 has now reached Recommendation status.

This 1.1 version does not add features, but instead takes features away to
create two new specifications, SVG-Basic and SVG-Tiny, which are subsets of
the SVG 1.0 feature set for use on smaller devices.

SVG 1.2 will add new features (more text, forms, compositing improvements,
script access), and is now in the first part of its Working Draft stage.
The shape of SVG 2.0 is now under discussion as well. You can view the
roadmap at http://www.w3.org/graphics/svg/

Sidenote:
Some World Wide Web Consortium Recommendations, such as HTML 2.0, were
later made Standards by groups such as the Internet Engineering Task Force.
Other W3C Recommendations, such as HTML 4.0, have been refined by groups
such as ISO (International Organization for Standardization). Other web
technologies, such as JavaScript and VRML, have been made de jure Standards
without a specific Recommendation from the W3C.
http://www.w3.org/Markup/#previous
http://www.cs.tcd.ie/15445/15445.html#intro
http://www.ecma.ch/ecma1/STAND/ECMA-262.HTM
http://tecfa.unige.ch/guides/vrml/vrml97/spec/
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process-20010719/tr.html#Recs

jd

John Dowdell, Macromedia Developer Support, San Francisco
(Best to reply on-list, to avoid my mighty spam filters!)
Technotes: http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/
Column: http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/jd_forum/
Technical daily diary: http://jdmx.blogspot.com/