[thelist] server monitoring with pretty pictures

Fred Schenk evolt at fredschenk.com
Thu Jan 16 15:08:01 CST 2003

********************* george donnelly wrote:
I'm looking for a reliable service that will ping at least the http services
(would be nice if it could check smtp, pop, imap and other arbitrary
services) on my servers and give me some pretty pictures or stats that I can
show to clients and prospective clients.

I'm willing to pay ($50/month tops?) and I'd like it to be a service that i
don't have to install or anything.

I've been using the free trial of alertra.com and its good but its not
giving me the pretty pictures.
*********************

Hello George,
You could try Karens Power Tools
    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp

The combination of NetMonitor and e-mailer II should be able to warn you if
something is wrong. The utilities are free, but only run on windows. And
yes. you'll have to install them.

Another freeware windows tool is IP Ultra Monitor:
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ultraj

Both don't seem to be capable of generating nice graphics though...

Ok, so you asked for something you didn't had to install with nice graphics
and I suggested two possibilities which have neither...Makes you think why I
replied. Is it because I like them and want to plug them ;-))

Another 'service' is InternetSeer. They'll send you a mail every week with
an overview in a table and seperate messages if the website goes down or
comes back up. Especially the table is burried inside lots of advertisements
etc, but I'm only using their free service, so maybe the paid one is
something for you? [checking their website] Yes, it can also check other
ports, so maybe you should take a look at it:
    http://www.InternetSeer.com

Gtx,
      Fred Schenk