[thelist] cookies across multiple domains

noah noah at tookish.net
Thu Jan 16 17:29:01 CST 2003

This is ASP and Access on IIS, if that's at all relevant.

I'm working on an existing site that has a login function for access to
price information. The login function uses cookies.

One of the products is now being spun off and will have its own domain. The
thing is, the product (at its new domain) will still be accessible from the
menu on the original site, and people who log in at the original site also
need to be logged in at the new domain.

I know that cookies don't work across domains. I can think of several ways
that I might accomplish what I need, but the easiest way, if it will work,
would probably be to have the new site be a frameset containing the
existing page on the existing site. The new site is only one page, so most
of the typical "frames are bad" issues don't apply.

So basically, if the original site is acme.com, and the new site is
widget.com: if widget.com is nothing but a frameset containing a page on
acme.com, and it is accessed from acme.com, can a cookie set at acme.com be
read?

Thanks,
Noah