[thelist] mapping a drive on winXP...

Boris Mann boris at bmannconsulting.com
Thu Jan 16 17:37:01 CST 2003

On Thursday, January 16, 2003, at 06:06 PM, Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:

> Heyall,
>
> I just connected to a VPN for a new client, which I set up as a new
> internet network connection. I then connected perfectly, and the
> connection is up and running.
>
> The problem is I cannot seem to map the drive. I go under tools > map
> network drive. I type in \\VPN\ as the folder (VPN being the name I
> gave the connection) but it tells me its not found.

The connection is totally separate from any machines / drives you are
trying to map. Typing in "\\VPN" does nothing. Let's say the domain /
workgroup on the other side is called "MIDGARD". In that, there is a
machine called "ODIN". Odin has a folder, called "www" that you want to
map. To access it, once your VPN connection is up, the shortcut would
be "\\odin\www".

> I try to browse my web client network / my network places, but it
> doesn't show up..yet all this time it IS connected.

This is a problem. Are you sure you're authenticated against the domain
you are connecting to? If not, you won't be able to see any of the
network.

HTH

--
Boris Mann