[thelist] Re: iframes

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Sun Jan 19 10:00:01 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hans Fraser" <hfraser at videotron.ca>
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2003 12:20 AM

> actualy you can treat the iframe like a layer! with css!
>
> change the display, border, position!
> one problem though!
> safari will not show them or it will with full of bugs!
> opera shows only the default border so does ie 5.5+ on windows!

Actually, I'm not quite sure if the last observation is 100% correct in
regards to ie 5.5 on Windows.  My experience has been that you can modify
the border of an iframe by modifying the attributes on the body of the
document within the iframe.  This is similar to the way you can modify the
inner border on a popup window.

Eg, setting the following style on the document WITHIN the iframe will give
the iframe a single pixel border:

body { border: solid 1px black; }

One note, you can set the border style on the iframe itself and it will take
effect in addition to the border attribute on the document within the
iframe.  However, I just tested this on ie 6.0 by giving the iframe a border
of 20px red, and the contained document a 1px black.  It looked as expected
except that the single pixel border was missing on the bottom.  How odd!

HTH

-joshua