[thelist] MySQL table structures with PHP

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Wed Jan 22 17:01:01 CST 2003

At 12:49 PM 1/22/2003, rudy wrote:

>that way, you eliminate the possibility of linking the same item to the same
>colour more than once, which, with the surrogate key, you can only achieve
>by declaring a separate unique key on the pair of columns, an extra index in
>addition to the default one which the surrogate gets as the primary key

This is why I always say, "I'm not a coder/dba, but I play one TV!". ;-)

I always "feel" better when I have a rowID, it's the brute force method I
always seem to gravitate too. But your way is the correct and more elegant
way. (Need to remember to let the db engine work *for* me.)

Toodles.
--
Anthony Baratta
President