[thelist] horiz scrollbar only on overflow div

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 22 18:34:01 CST 2003

> > From: "Peter-Paul Koch" <gassinaumasis at hotmail.com>
>[...]
> > >this produces a div with both horizontal and vertical scrollbars.
> > >anyone know of a way to ditch the vertical one?
> >
> > overflow: auto
> >
> > Now a scrollbar is only generated when necessary.
>
>except in IE/win, which insists on adding a vertical scrollbar,
>ostensibly to make up for the space the horizontal scrollbar is
>occupying...

Err..no, overflow: auto works as advertised in IE Win.

I think you're describing an IE Mac bug with the problems of the hidden 15px
margin.

ppk, freelance web developer
Interaction, copywriting, JavaScript, integration
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/
Column "Keep it Simple": http://www.digital-web.com/columns/keepitsimple/
W3C DOM Compatibility Table, expanded & updated
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/index.html?version5.html