[thelist] ASP w/o VBScript

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Thu Jan 23 09:16:00 CST 2003

>> Has anyone garnered any useful experience developing an
>> ASP site in, say,Python or Jscript?  Maybe a
>> little Perl?

There are known problems using Python to write ASP. This is because COM
objects have to be wrapped in Python classes. Basically you have to run a
Python script with a .dll file as a parameter (in this case asp.dll) and it
will spit out a big Python class using the win32 extensions to wrap the COM
calls as a native Python class, so you use it the same way (Response,
Request, etc).

Once you do that you'll be able to load an ASP page once, then it's blank
after that. You have to manually patch one of the python win32 library files
in order for it to work properly. This may not be a problem anymore, it may
have been patched in the latest distro release, not sure.

If you want to do this sort of thing I strongly suggest you talk to some
folks on the python-win32 mailing list. Mark Hammond is there, he wrote the
win32 extensions which enable PythonScript for Windows and ASP.

To be honest, I really wanted to use Python for ASP. As a language it simply
rocks. However I'm doing ASP.NET now, and the thought of doing old ASP in
*any* language simply makes a root canal much more attractive... :)

-dave