[thelist] IP numbers

Lonnie Kraemer lwkraemer at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 23 14:58:01 CST 2003

> I'm not too sure about static/fixed IP numbers.
>
> Here is the situation:
>
> Someone has left an 'anonymous' comment on one website.  The IP number
> is recorded for all comments.  The IP number matches a comment that
they
> definitely left on another website.
>
> They are denying that they left the anonymous comment.
>
> If the IP numbers are the same, does this mean that it was the same
> computer that both messages came from?  Or, could that IP be allocated
> to another computer in the same city?

Hence the dangers of tracking IP addresses for identity. If that user
has a static IP, then she's most probably lying. OTOH, if her ISP doles
out dynamic IPs, I'd venture to guess that the odds of her getting the
same IP on different dates and leaving another comment is highly
unlikely. Dynamic IP ranges can be quite wide ranging. Some ISPs say
they use dynamic IPs. However, depending on the actual equipment and
circumstances involved, users may never (or rarely) see their IP change.

Since you say the comment was 'anonymous', you may come across as being
hypocritical if you press the issue. Do you have a privacy policy? Tread
lightly.