[thelist] Suggestions for good forum script, no DB

Boris Mann boris at bmannconsulting.com
Fri Jan 24 15:14:01 CST 2003

I'm looking for a forum script that:
- uses PHP* or Perl
- supports moderated posting (i.e. posts by non-privileged users goes
into moderation queue until approved)
- requires NO database -- so flat file, XML, DBM support etc.
- allows for look & feel customization
- runs on Solaris/SPARC

*I would prefer PHP

Here are my research results so far:

PHP-based
----------------

I tried S8Forum [1] (no moderated posting), ADPForum [2] (no
moderation), and Ultimate PHP Board [3] (best of the bunch, but still
not quite there).

Perl-based
---------------

I've been trying Colloquius [4], which seems OK, but a bit slow (likely
because it's Perl). It also has lots of moderation options, on a
per-board basis. This is the one I'm going to stick with, barring other
options.

Ikonboard [5] ran through most of the installer then bailed when trying
to create DBM tables.

Hope this info proves useful, and I hope you all have some good
suggestions about what else I might want to try.

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bmannconsulting.com

[1] S8Forum - http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/9204.html