[thelist] ColdFusion MX, CFEXECUTE, and returning the output

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Sat Jan 25 22:17:01 CST 2003

jay,

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> From: Jay Dorsey
>
> I'm running the dev version of ColdFusion MX on Windows
> XP, and trying to use the cfexecute tag to run a python
> script that I've written.  According to the
> documentation, when no outputfile is specified on the
> cfexecute, the output is sent right to the screen.
> Running the cfexecute WITH an outputfile specified I
> get the output of the python script just fine; when I
> leave the outputfile OUT of the tag, I get nothing.
> I've tried wrapping a cfsavecontent around the
> cfexecute, I still get nothing.  I've even tried running
> cfexecute with ipconfig, with the same results.  I've
> included a sample page below, using ipconfig (I'm fairly
> certain I don't have to specifiy the full path - when I
> use an outputfile, I get the proper results; though when
> I call my pyton script, I DO use the full path).  Any
> ideas?
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

yes, and it's obscure.  if you don't specify an outputfile, then you have to
tell cf to not execute the tag and continue.  slapping a timeout of 1 should
suffice.

<cfexecute name="ipconfig" timeout="1"></cfexecute>

additionally, i usually choose to save the results of the call to
<cfexecute> in a variable so i can display it wherever, whenever, however i
want.

<cfsavecontent variable="ipconfig">
  <cfexecute name="ipconfig" timeout="1"></cfexecute>
</cfsavecontent>

good luck,

.jeff

http://evolt.org/